This Garam Masala Chicken recipe combines chicken, tomato and onion with coconut milk spiced with garam masala for a delicious dinner.
Tonight was one of those nights where I barely got dinner on the table at all. I called the husband while I was commuting home to hint at the idea of going out to dinner. He had a long day and just wanted to sit on the couch and relax, so I pulled myself together and made dinner.
I didn’t have anything planned for tonight so I had to get creative. Among the other strange things residing in my fridge and pantry, I scrounged up some chicken breast, tomato, onion, coconut milk, rice, and spices.
I buy onions in bulk and keep them in a big bowl on my counter. I find that they are a great way to bulk up dishes without adding a lot of calories. Plus, they’re cheap!
I had tomato leftover from making some grilled flatbread pizzas and just happened to have a chicken breast thawing in the fridge.
I seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, and garam masala, then seared it quickly in some olive oil and chopped garlic.
I threw in some chopped tomato and sliced onion and let everything get steamy.
After the vegetables got some good color on them I added a can of light coconut milk (feel free to use full fat if you prefer), some curry powder, and more garam masala. I let it simmer for about fifteen minutes while my rice was cooking then adjusted salt and pepper to taste.
This Chicken Garam Masala recipe is quick, easy, low-fat, and delicious!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 6-8 oz. chicken breasts (I used one big one)
- One can light coconut milk
- Half a large tomato, cut into large chunks
- Half a large yellow onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Garam Masala
- 2 tsp. Curry Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (coconut oil works great if you have it!)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Thinly slice the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and season with salt, pepper, and 1 Tbsp. garam masala.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once hot, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add chicken. Sear until brown on both sides.
- Add tomatoes and onion and stir to coat in spices.
- Add additional 2 Tbsp. garam masala and the curry powder. Stir and let the spices toast in the oil.
- Add the can of coconut milk and stir until spices are incorporated into the liquid.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let cook for about a minute.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, smash the cooked tomatoes to release their juices into the coconut milk.
- Reduce heat to simmer and let cook for fifteen-twenty minutes or until thickened.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 665|Total Fat: 21g|Saturated Fat: 8g|Trans Fat: 0g|Unsaturated Fat: 10g|Cholesterol: 289mg|Sodium: 339mg|Carbohydrates: 8g|Fiber: 3g|Sugar: 2g|Protein: 107g|
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
May 31, 2013 | Last Updated on July 15, 2021 by Linda