This Vegan Indian Sweet Potato Soup is richly spiced and made from simple, fresh ingredients. Perfect for busy nights and hungry families, this creamy soup is on the table in under 25 minutes!
Is it me, or are soups and blenders made for each other?
It can’t be JUST me, because when I think about it, two of my most popular recipes involve both soup and blenders. I know you guys are going to LOVE this vegan potato soup recipe just as much as my Mulligatawny Soup and Tuscan Bean Soup!
This simple recipe features gorgeous orange-flesh sweet potatoes, onion, vegetable broth, and coconut milk. Spiced with garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and garlic powder, this soup is full of flavor and easy to make any time of year!
I like to freeze leftovers in mason jars to keep on-hand for easy lunches. Talk about winning, am I right?
Just look at this beautiful bowl of Indian sweet potato soup vegan style!
Here’s the Recipe!
For the Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or substitute olive oil), divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric root
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted cashews, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and saute for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned. Add the onion and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Sprinkle the garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and garlic powder over the vegetables and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the vegetable broth and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 10 or until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a counter-top blender and puree, being careful not to let the steam blow the top off the blender.
- Pour the coconut milk and salt into the blender and pulse until well combined. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve garnished with cashews and cilantro.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 497Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 1mgSodium 1045mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 7gSugar 11gProtein 11g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
My good friends over at Frontier Co-op compensated me for my time to create this recipe. As always, all content and opinions are my own!
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on