This Vegan Indian Sweet Potato Soup is richly spiced and made from simple, fresh ingredients. Perfect for busy nights and hungry families, this creamy soup is on the table in under 25 minutes!
Is it me, or are soups and blenders made for each other?
It can’t be JUST me, because when I think about it, two of my most popular recipes involve both soup and blenders. I know you guys are going to LOVE this recipe just as much as my Mulligatawny Soup and Tuscan Bean Soup!
This simple recipe features gorgeous orange-flesh sweet potatoes, onion, vegetable broth, and coconut milk. Spiced with garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and garlic powder, this soup is full of flavor and easy to make any time of year!
I like to freeze leftovers in mason jars to keep on-hand for easy lunches. Talk about winning, am I right?
Because I’m just about the luckiest girl on the planet, I’ve partnered up with Frontier Co-op and KitchenAid (two amazing long-time sponsors of The Wanderlust Kitchen!) to tell you about a special Real Food Resolution Giveaway. Here are the deets:
When you cook with real ingredients, you’re cooking with purpose. And we want to help you do just that.
Join us as we share real food ideas and inspiration on Instagram, and enter for your chance to win a Cook With Purpose Prize Pack worth over $1,000! Sweepstakes starts January 25th.
Our prize comes complete with a KitchenAid Torrent™ Blender, Frontier Co-op bulk ingredients, organic spices and more along with 2 of Tess Master’s (aka The Blender Girl) amazing recipe books and a few extra kitchen items — everything you need to cook with purpose in the new year!
Winner is drawn at random. Be sure to enter between January 25 and January 31, 2016 to be eligible for a chance to win.
Oh, and speaking of prize package…
Here’s a little sampling of the goodies you can expect to receive if you win the grand prize!!
My favorites: crystallized ginger, domestic bee pollen, hibiscus flowers, goji berries, and genmaicha with matcha green tea.
Here’s Your Recipe!
The Wanderlust Kitchen
This Vegan Indian Sweet Potato Soup is richly spiced and made from simple, fresh ingredients. Perfect for busy nights and hungry families, this creamy soup is on the table in under 25 minutes
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or substitute olive oil), divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric root
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted cashews, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and saute for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned. Add the onion and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Sprinkle the garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and garlic powder over the vegetables and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the vegetable broth and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 10 or until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a counter-top blender and puree, being careful not to let the steam blow the top off the blender.
- Pour the coconut milk and salt into the blender and pulse until well combined. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve garnished with cashews and cilantro.
My good friends over at Frontier Co-op compensated me for my time to create this recipe. As always, all content and opinions are my own!