This delicious Thai Sweet Potato Soup recipe features sweet potatoes, carrots, yellow onion, garlic, coconut milk and spices for a flavorful soup!
I know you totally saw this coming. As if I could go longer than three weeks without posting a Thai recipe, right?
I suppose this doesn’t really count because it isn’t a “traditional” Thai recipe so much as it is a recipe I’ve doctored up with Thai flavors. Either way, any time I can throw together fish sauce and lime juice and cilantro in a recipe, I’m going to be a very happy camper.
Oh, and I can’t forget about the curry and peanuts and coconut milk. Some of my very favorite things in the whole wide world.
This Thai Sweet Potato Soup recipe is super quick and easy, but it tastes like something you simmered on the stove all day long.
I love making soups this time of year because it takes very little energy from the stove (so the house doesn’t heat up) and very little energy from me (so I don’t heat up).
The creamy texture of this sweet potato and carrot soup with coconut milk spiked with bits of spice and hints of cool lime juice hit the spot every time!
The easiest way to make this sweet potato carrot soup is to use a heavy-duty enameled cast iron Dutch oven. I love this Dutch Oven from Lodge because it’s so reasonably priced.
It will hold up to any abuse from your immersion blender, I recommend this one if you want to get one.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can just use your regular old blender-blender to puree the soup.
Thai Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
For the Soup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil - or substitute olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger - or 1 teaspoon ground dry ginger
- 6 garlic cloves - peeled and minced
- 1 large sweet potato - peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots - peeled and diced
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce - optional – salt to taste for vegetarian
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 1 cup roasted peanuts - chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro - roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, and curry paste, then saute another 2 minutes.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, diced carrots, and broth. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 15 or until the vegetables are tender.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender, leaving a few chunks if desired. Alternatively, transfer small portions to a counter-top blender and puree in batches, being careful not to let the steam blow the top off the blender. Return soup to Dutch oven.
- Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, and black pepper.
- Serve garnished with lime wedges, peanuts, and cilantro.