Creamy cashews add a velvety richness to this flavorful Indian Chicken Curry – pair with homemade naan bread for the perfect meal!
Guess who’s back? BACK AGAIN.
It’s 30 Minute Mondays, ya’ll.
Tell a friend.
Let’s talk about this Creamy Cashew Indian Chicken Curry.
You guys. So good.
When a friend and I were in San Francisco, we walked past a little hole-in-the-wall Indian place and she mentioned that she had never had Indian food before.
Needless to say, I took her over to the restaurant for lunch and she tried butter chicken and naan. It was good for her and she liked it.
It maybe wasn’t the *best* Indian food I’ve had, but it was still pretty darn good. Since I’ve been home, I’ve been on a bit of an Indian food kick.
I made this Korma recipe the other night, then decided that it was way too complicated and I needed to come up with something that better utilized my blender and could be cooked in less than 30 minutes.
I’m lazy and I know you are, too.
Here’s the game plan to get this done in 30 minutes:
(If you’re serving this with rice, you’ll want to start cooking it first! Here’s my favorite method.)
- Minutes 1-3: Heat up your griddle pan and season the chicken.
- Minutes 3-5: Begin cooking the chicken. Start blending the sauce ingredients and transfer the puree to a hot, oiled saucepan.
- Minutes 5-15: Simmer the sauce and stir in the spices, flip the chicken, and cream the cashews in your blender.
- Minutes 15-20: Add the cashew mixture, coconut milk, and yogurt into the sauce.
- Minutes 20-25: Cut up the cooked chicken and transfer it to the saucepan.
- Minutes 25-30: Simmer the chicken in the sauce; once it’s warm, dinner is ready!
You may also love my Chicken Biryani Recipe!
Creamy Cashew Indian Chicken Curry Recipe
For the Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless - skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2″ thickness
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the Cashew Curry Sauce
- 1 white onion - halved
- 2 medium tomatoes - halved
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt - NOT nonfat!
- Place the chicken, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 2 teaspoons garam masala, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a zipper-close bag. Press out the excess air, seal the bag, and massage the spices into the chicken.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat; once hot, place the chicken breasts on the pan. Cook 6-8 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- While the chicken is cooking, place the onion and tomato in the bowl of a blender and process until pureed. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the onion-tomato mixture and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the spices and sugar.
- Place the cashews and water into the same blender bowl and puree. Transfer the mixture to the saucepan, and add the coconut milk and yogurt. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes over medium.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the cooked chicken pieces. Simmer for 5 minutes until warmed through.
- Serve with basmati rice and warm naan bread.