This Beef Curry with Butternut Squash recipe is a delicious combination of flavors over egg noodles for a quick, delicious dinner.
Do you like beef stroganoff? I was never too much of a fan of it because I didn’t like the texture of the mushrooms. Then, I realized that I had been cooking the mushrooms the wrong way by crowding them in the pan. Just like that, I was a convert.
What does beef stroganoff have to do with this curry? Well, not really anything I guess. For some reason it just reminded me of stroganoff because of the beef, creamy sauce, and egg noodles. Don’t judge me – you try coming up with ways to start blog posts three times a week!
Right, so…. Beef Curry with Butternut Squash. This dish came together as something of a happy accident. I completely forgot to put rice on so I was stuck with a ready-to-eat beef and squash curry, only to realize that I had nothing starchy to soak up all the sauce. What is a woman to do!?
Lucky for me, I found a half-full package of egg noodles tucked in the very back of my pantry behind about 8 mason jars of beans and lentils. Honestly, I considered the lentils for a few minutes because I’m completely obsessed, but then thought that might be nasty. So, egg noodles it was!
I don’t know why I didn’t think of using egg noodles to begin with. They soak up the sauce so perfectly and add a warm richness to this beef and butternut squash curry dish. Fall is in the air, people!
As delicious as this curry is by itself, it seemed like it was missing a little something. I paused the TV, said “sorry, sorry, sorry!” to the poor husband who was totally sucked into the episode of MasterChef we were watching, and started rummaging around the fridge.
And then…. there it was!
Chili-garlic sauce. Oh, heavens. LOTS of flavor with just a little heat – the perfect sauce to stir right into this curry. I was in chili-garlic heaven.
You can find this stuff on the Asian foods aisle of just about any grocery store. Look for the green cap and the rooster on the front.
Just spoon a bit right on the top….
This. is. good.
Really, really good. Not just “good for a weeknight meal you can throw together in under 30 minutes,” but I mean weekend good. Dinner party good. Better than take-out good.
Just make this beef butternut squash curry recipe.
Here’s the Recipe!
Beef Curry with Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. red curry paste - I used Panang
- 3/4 lb. rib-eye or flank steak - thinly sliced crosswise into 2-inch strips
- 1 1/4 c. chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. chili-garlic sauce
- Heat a wok or heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat and pour in about half the can of coconut milk. Let it heat up and start to bubble, then add in the curry paste. Stir the curry paste into the milk by breaking it up with the back of a spoon. Once combined, add in the rest of the coconut milk and stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium, then add the beef pieces into the curry sauce and let cook for one minute. Pour the chicken broth into the pan, stir well, then add in the squash pieces. Cover and let cook 10-15 minutes, or until squash is cooked through.
- Stir in the fish sauce and brown sugar, then serve with egg noodles or rice with a tablespoon of chili-garlic sauce on top.