Filled with bubbly enchilada sauce and topped with melty cheese, these Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Peppers will delight and satisfy every guest at the dinner table!
Of all the things you can stuff into a bell pepper, chicken and cheese and enchilada sauce might be my very favorite.
This is a great recipe to have on hand when you have leftover rotisserie chicken in your refrigerator. Sautéing the filling in enchilada sauce prior to stuffing the peppers helps the chicken absorb that wonderful Mexican flavor, and keeps the peppers from retaining too much liquid.
Another great trick is to roast the peppers in a bundt pan to keep them from soaking in any liquid that forms in the bottom of the pan. This will definitely become your go-to pepper roasting method!
Garnish these peppers with your favorite toppings and prepare for a delectable meal!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ Mild Red Enchilada Sauce
- 4 bell peppers (red, orange, or yellow), tops, seeds, and membranes removed
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional garnishes: sour cream and chopped cilantro.
- Preheat an oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the diced onion and sauté for 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pan and toss to combine with the onions. Pour the enchilada sauce into the pan 1/4 cup at a time, allowing the sauce to absorb into the chicken between each addition. Once all of the sauce is added, continue to cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce turns thick and bubbly.
- Place the bell peppers in a lightly greased high-sided pan. Fill each pepper half full with the chicken and onion mixture. Layer 1/8 cup of the shredded cheese into each pepper, then fill the peppers with the remaining chicken and onion mixture. Top each pepper with another 1/8 cup cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until peppers are soft and cheese is bubbly.
- Serve garnished with sour cream and chopped cilantro leaves.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 295 Total Fat 14g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 79mg Sodium 670mg Carbohydrates 16g Fiber 3g Sugar 9g Protein 26g
Today’s recipe is sponsored by the wonderful people over at Old El Paso. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Wanderlust Kitchen!