This easy Chicken Enchiladas in Colorado Sauce recipe blends Colorado sauce, onions, green chilies, Monterrey jack cheese and shredded chicken for a delicious Colorado Enchiladas dinner.
Remember that one time last week when I gave you my Colorado Sauce recipe and told you that Enchiladas were on the way?
Well…. yeah. I kind of forgot to post these. Until now. So here they are.
Guys, these are soooo good. This is perfect comfort food for those nights when you just need something familiar and delicious because you just DO, darnit!
This chicken enchilada recipe is really easy to put together and just takes 30 minutes in the oven. It’s pretty essential that you garnish the enchiladas with all of the toppings.
I’m talking jalapenos, tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, and some beautiful avocado slices. I’m not sure there is anything on this planet that isn’t made better by adding avocado.
Lately I’ve been going through about 4 avocados per week. By myself. The jumbo size ones, not the little guys.
Just trust me that you need these in your life because it will be getting cold soon and you need cheesy-delicious sustenance to survive.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 10 gordita-size yellow corn tortillas
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 3 cups Colorado sauce
- 1 lb (4 cups) shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the canola oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add a tortilla to the pan and cook for 2-3 seconds on each side. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining tortillas, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Once you are finished with the tortillas, turn the heat up medium-high and add another teaspoon of oil. Once hot, add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the diced green chilies and stir to mix well. Remove from heat and transfer the onion-chili mixture to a small bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Warm the Colorado sauce in a pan on the stove over low heat. Ladle one cup of sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Prepare a working area by placing the shredded chicken, onion-chili mixture, half of the shredded cheese (2 cups), and tortillas near each other on the counter. Using tongs, submerge one tortilla into the warm Colorado sauce, then transfer to your working area. Sprinkle some chicken, onion-chili mixture, and cheese down the center of the tortilla. Roll it up and place it seam side down in the pan. Continue with remaining 9 tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining 2 cups of cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 810Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 147mgSodium 1404mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 6gSugar 12gProtein 54g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
This recipe is also known as Chicken Colorado Enchiladas recipe, Chicken Enchiladas Coloradas recipe, Colorado Chicken Enchiladas recipe, Colorado Sauce Enchiladas recipe, Chili Colorado Enchiladas recipe and Chili Colorado Enchiladas recipe.
September 3, 2014 | Last Updated on October 2, 2020 by Linda