These French Crepes are the authentic light and fluffy thin pancakes that you would find if you were sitting outside at a quaint French café. The best part is that you can make them to your liking with all of your favorite toppings!
There are so many classic French dishes that remind me of my travels to France because you would see them on every menu. Other ones similar to these French Crepes are my Croque Monsieur (Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich), Savory Crepes with Chimichurri Sauce, and Earl Grey Creme Brulee.
If you have not been to France and you have always wanted to go, DO IT! I promise you will not regret it. The food alone is worth it! But of course we cannot forget about all of the history and beautiful architecture it also has in store. One thing you will find on the menu at almost every French café you stumble upon will have these scrumptious crepes. They are a staple in French cuisine and if you don’t end up making it over to Europe, this recipe will bring France into your own home!
How to Make French Crepes
Assemble your ingredients. For exact amounts see the recipe card below.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar and salt and set aside.
In a large bowl beat the milk and eggs together with an electric mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer.
Add in the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
Then, stir in the melted butter.
Using your additional butter, grease your frying pan over medium-low heat and pour the batter in until it barely covers the bottom of the pan. Tip and rotate the pan until you spread the batter as thin as possible.
Brown on one side and flip to brown on the other.
Finally, serve and enjoy!
Let’s Talk Toppings!
Don’t get me wrong, I love these light and airy crepes but the toppings for them are really the star of the show! When it comes to sweet crepes there are a couple of toppings that are my go-to so of course I have to share!
Strawberries, Blueberries, and Whipped Cream
These crepes are my favorite! They are filled with color and sweetness and almost look too good to eat! For these I spread some fresh whipped cream on a crepe and then layer in some strawberries and blueberries. Then you can fold it up and add additional toppings on top!
Banana and Nutella
Is there a better combination than chocolate and bananas? For these crepes I spread on a pat of that delicious and chocolatey hazelnut spread and layer with bananas. And if you want to add some extra sweetness to your day, drizzle over some chocolate sauce on the top and voila!
Check out more of my favorite French Recipes:
- Chicken Florentine
- Lavender Creme Brulee for Two
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- French Apple Cake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly French Toast
- French Pork with Apple Cream Sauce
French Crepes Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tbsp butter - melted
- Additional butter for greasing your pan
- All your favorite crepe toppings
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the milk and eggs together with an electric mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer.
- Add in the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps. Then, stir in the melted butter.
- Using your additional butter, grease your frying pan over medium-low heat and pour the batter in until it barely covers the bottom of the pan.
- Tip and rotate the pan until you spread the batter as thin as possible.
- Brown on one side and flip to brown on the other side.
- Finally, serve and enjoy!