Peanut Butter and Jelly French Toast is delicious and easy: make a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, dip it in batter, and fry as french toast. Perfection!
Sometimes you just need comfort food for breakfast… or, breakfast food for dinner!
This Peanut Butter Jelly French Toast works for just about any meal of the day. Plus, it’s perfect for every member of the family (even those with the pickiest of palates).
I’ve been making this pb&j French Toast recipe for myself for years, but I just never deemed it “blog worthy.” It finally came to me that I owe it to you all to show you the kind of random stuff I eat when I’m not specifically making something to put up on the blog.
I needed something quick and easy for lunch, and my grocery situation was looking pretty dire. As long as I have a few pieces of bread, peanut butter, jelly, and an egg, I can whip up this peanut butter french toast!
Sometimes I use marmalade, other days it’s grape jelly… but today, I ended up using apple butter! I know that apple butter isn’t *technically* jelly, but it serves the same basic purpose so I think it counts.
I was basically starving when I made this, but decided to snap a few quick pictures of it so I could give you a little sneak peek into my less-than-glamorous lunch life. If you love these kind of simple ideas, be sure to check out my recipe for a Monte Cristo Sandwich and my 15-Minute Yakisoba Noodles!
Alright, here’s the low-down on how to make this tasty pb and j French Toast:
Just make yourself a PB&J, dip both sides of it into a mixture of egg, milk, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Fry it in a buttered pan (I like to use my cast iron skillet) for a few minutes on each side, then dust the sandwich in powdered sugar.
If you’re a jelly-fiend (like me!), serve it with a little saucer of extra jelly on the side.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Spread the peanut butter and apple butter onto the bread to form two PB&J sandwiches.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter.
- Whisk the egg, milk, cinnamon, and pinch of salt together in a shallow bowl until no egg streaks remain.
- Dip both sides of one of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, then transfer to the pre-heated pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the pan, then repeat the dipping and cooking process with the second sandwich.
- Slice sandwiches on an angle and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 772|Total Fat: 33g|Saturated Fat: 12g|Trans Fat: 0g|Unsaturated Fat: 17g|Cholesterol: 126mg|Sodium: 581mg|Carbohydrates: 107g|Fiber: 4g|Sugar: 71g|Protein: 17g|
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
June 9, 2016 | Last Updated on January 16, 2021 by Linda