This delicious, savory and sweet Million Dollar Monte Cristo Sandwich recipe combines Gruyere cheese, ham and mustard with the sandwich dipped in an egg and milk mixture and grilled then dusted with powdered sugar and served with raspberry jam.
Here’s a conversation we have in our household at least once per week:
Me: What should we do for lunch?
Me: Fine. Sandwiches.
He is a sandwich FIEND. Probably 90% of the time when I ask him what he wants to eat it is either sandwiches or sushi, and because sushi only sounds good to me once every few weeks, sandwiches usually win out.
Let’s talk about breakfast sandwiches.
I know that usually when you think of a “breakfast” sandwich you think of eggs, bacon, and cheese on an English Muffin type thing, right? Well, I’m not really a fan of that. I like my breakfast foods separate, thank you very much.
What I DO like for breakfast is a toasty warm Monte Cristo sandwich. Awwww yeah.
Seriously, you guys, what’s not to love? It’s like French toast stuffed with a perfect ham + cheese + fancy mustard sandwich, sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with a side of jam.
If you’ve never had a Monte Cristo with jam before you’re probably making a weird face at your screen right now and wondering what the heck I’m talking about.
Trust me when I say that the Monte Cristo is the perfect execution of sweet + savory and is the highest form of breakfast sandwich.
This Monte Cristo recipe is perfect for lazy brunches.
Heck, you could even eat it for lunch, too.
It’s like French Toast and Grilled Cheese sandwiches had a baby and that baby was delicious.
Okay, that sounded weird, but just trust me on this.
Go make this Monte Cristo sandwich with jam, you are going to love it!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 4 slices white bread
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 2 teaspoons stone ground or dijon mustard
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Powdered sugar and raspberry jam for serving
- Lay a slice of bread on a cutting board and top with one quarter (1 1/2 ounces) of the shredded cheese. Place half of the ham (3 ounces) on top of the cheese and smear with 1 teaspoon of mustard. Top with another quarter of the cheese, then a second piece of bread. Repeat with remaining bread, cheese, meat, and mustard to form a second sandwich.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Mix the beaten eggs, milk, and vanilla in a shallow bowl. Use both hands to pick up a completed sandwich and dip both sides into the egg mixture.
- Add the soaked sandwich to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and repeat the dipping and grilling process with the second sandwich. Slice each sandwich on the diagonal. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with a side of jam.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1184Total Fat 63gSaturated Fat 34gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 388mgSodium 2032mgCarbohydrates 103gFiber 2gSugar 69gProtein 52g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on