Twenty minutes is all you need to whip up this simple yet satisfying Mediterranean Chicken Pita Sandwich recipe!
So I’m obviously still on that whole missing-the-Mediterranean-must-eat-all-the-foods kick that I told you about last week.
For whatever reason, I just can’t get enough of it. Around this time last year I was gallivanting around Greece and Turkey stuffing myself with gyros, moussaka, tzatziki, and lots of red wine.
I had not a care in the world, other than a feeling of dread at the idea of returning home to a job that made me cringe just thinking about it. I only lasted about three weeks back on the job before I finally threw in the towel and gave myself up to full-time blogging.
I can’t believe I’ve been doing this full time for nearly 10 months now!
Now that things are calming down a bit, I’m feeling a desperate need to get out of the country. My passport expired in March and I nearly had a panic attack when I had to wait three weeks to receive my new one by mail.
As crazy as it sounds, I just hated the idea that if I wanted to leave the country I really couldn’t. Wanderlust and cabin fever just go hand-in-hand I suppose.
Of course the second my shiny, new passport (sadly devoid of stamps) arrived in the mail I pulled the trigger and booked our flights and accommodations for our Big Trip 2015.
Doesn’t this Mediterranean Pita Sandwich look delicious?
This year, we’re going to London for 4 days, then flying down to Kenya for a week to go on safari, then spending 4 days in Paris en route back home.
I don’t know what in the heck I was thinking booking a vacation like this, because how exactly am I supposed to pack clothes that will make sense for all three of those locations?
We’re going to be staying in tents the whole time we’re in Kenya, and I’m not sure my camping gear is going to look right in Paris.
If you have any bright ideas on how to get around this problem, I’d love to hear it. We leave next month so I’ve obviously given myself plenty of time to acquire our visas, antimalarials, and everything else we’ll need for the trip. (<– this is sarcasm, you guys)
Pin this Image:
I can’t wait to tell you all more about the trip and share lots of crazy pictures (uh, when we have wifi) along the way!
For now, I’ll leave you with this wanderlust-inspired recipe – enjoy!
Here’s the Recipe!
20 Minute Mediterranean Chicken Pita Sandwich Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless - skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2" cubes
- 5 ounces nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 4 pieces of pita bread
- 1 large cucumber - peeled and sliced
- 2 large tomatoes - sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, paprika, allspice, and vegetable oil. Add the diced chicken pieces and toss well to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken in a single layer and allow it cook for 2 minutes undisturbed. Continue to saute the chicken until cooked through, another 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by whisking together the Greek yogurt, oregano, olive oil, and salt to taste.
- Assemble the pita sandwiches by spreading one quarter of the yogurt sauce over each of the four pitas, then topping with cooked chicken, cucumber and tomato slices, and topping with crumbled Feta cheese.