I can’t think of Jamaican Jerk Chicken without thinking of Jamaica and the time I watched my mom get tequila poured down her throat (sorry, Mom!).
My older sister, Bethany, took our whole family on a week long Caribbean cruise (SO freakin’ generous, am I right?) and one of the places we stopped was Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I was about 17 at the time and one birthday shy of being able to drink on the ship. I was always the wild child of the family, so naturally I spent most of the trip trying to convince my older sister to sneak me a beer.
Lucky for me, the kind serving staff at Jimmy Buffet’s Ocho Rios Margaritaville didn’t seem too concerned about my age as they convinced my mom and me to tilt our heads back and gulp down some tequila straight out of the bottle. Not to brag or anything, but I took it like a champ. My mom on the other hand forgot to swallow so the booze began to overflow out of her mouth, down her chin, and all over her clothes.
I’m not sure where I was going with this story other than to embarrass my mom on the internet and tell you about how cool I thought I was at that age. Good times, good times.
So back to the whole Jamaican Jerk Chicken thing. I love, love, love Jerk Chicken but most of the time I find it overly greasy for my taste. I decided to make a lightened up version with boneless, skinless chicken breasts because they are the easiest of all protein.
Don’t get me wrong, I love me some dark meat, but when it comes to ease and convenience you just can’t beat the BSCBs.
Fun fact: When I freeze my BSCBs, I label the package as “chick boobs” because I’m just THAT funny. I think the husband gets a kick out of it.
Anywho, this recipe is super simple and just takes a bit of marinating time to let the chicken soak up those traditional jerk flavors. The process goes like this:
- Put a bunch of stuff in a blender and blend the crap out of it.
- Pour that stuff over some chicken. Marinate overnight.
- Cook the chicken.
Simple, yet effective.
Alright, I think I’m done sharing embarrassing stories and fun facts with you for today, so…
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 cups coarsely chopped scallion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 or 2 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, seeded
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Combine all ingredients up to the Scotch bonnet peppers in a blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer pureed mixture to bowl and add chicken. Toss to coat, refrigerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and discard marinade. Heat a Tablespoon of oil in a cast iron or other heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for four minutes per side until browned. Transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet and place in oven for 30 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 498Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 193mgSodium 1370mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 73g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on