This Jamaican Jerk Chicken recipe is easy and healthy! Puree fresh ingredients into a paste, marinate the chicken, brown it in a pan and finish in the oven.
I love, love, love Jerk Chicken but most of the time I find it overly greasy for my taste.
I decided to make a lightened up version with boneless, skinless chicken breasts because they are the easiest of all protein.
Don’t get me wrong, I love me some dark meat, but when it comes to ease and convenience you just can’t beat the boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Anywho, this recipe is super simple and just takes a bit of marinating time to let the chicken soak up those traditional jerk flavors. The process goes like this:
- Put a bunch of stuff in a blender and blend it.
- Pour that stuff over some chicken. Marinate overnight.
- Cook the chicken.
Simple, yet effective.
Here’s the Recipe!
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe, Lightened Up
- 2 cups coarsely chopped scallion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves - peeled
- 1 or 2 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers - seeded
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds boneless - skinless chicken breast
- Combine all ingredients up to the Scotch bonnet peppers in a blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer pureed mixture to bowl and add chicken. Toss to coat, refrigerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and discard marinade. Heat a Tablespoon of oil in a cast iron or other heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for four minutes per side until browned. Transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet and place in oven for 30 minutes.