This Lamb and Beef Gyro recipe with Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce is a delicious combination of flavors from red onion, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper that you can easily make at home.
This is my favorite gyro recipe as it combines the flavors of lamb and beef. Besides combining the lamb and beef, the recipe is the same as my Lamb Gyros and Beef Gyros recipes. So, if you want to see the process photos or video of how to make this, then please check out either of those recipes. Also, we have a Greek Chicken Gyros recipe that is also amazingly great!
Lamb and Beef Gyros Recipe with Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce
Ground Lamb and Beef Gyro Meat
- ½ lb. ground lamb - lower the fat content the better
- ½ lb. ground beef - lower the fat content the better
- ½ large red onion - chopped
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Marjoram
- 2 tsp Rosemary
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 7 Pita Breads
- 7 Lettuce leaves
- 7 Tomato slices
- 4 Onion slices
- Place red onion in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Remove the onion from the food processor and place in a tea towel, squeezing to remove all the juices.
- Return the onion back to the food processor with the remaining ingredients and pulse for approximately 1 minute until you get a paste like consistency. TIP: The gyro meat mixture will form together in the food processor, similar to a ball of dough.
- Place mixture in a glass baking dish. Flatten and smooth the meat into a nice meatloaf.
- Place in a water bath and cook at 325°F for 60-75 minutes or you have an internal temp of 165°F-170°F.
- Once removed from the oven, drain the fat.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and place on a wire rack (I also put a pan under the rack to catch any drippings) and place a heavy object on top to compress the gyros meat. I used a cast iron skillet with 3 cans inside the skillet for additional weight.
- Remove the weight and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Slice the meat into desired sized slices.
- Place meat slices on a baking sheet and broil for 3-5 minutes until crispy!
- Serve in pita bread with lettuce, sliced onion, sliced tomato and this Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce.