This Kale and Wild Rice Salad recipe is quick and easy to put together and made with wild rice, Parmesan cheese, toasty bread crumbs and a lemony dressing. Delicious!
I’ve been making this massaged kale salad at least every week for the past two months. Honestly, I can’t get enough of it.
Truth be told, I wasn’t planning on sharing this recipe on the blog. I had made this salad to go with the Tuscan White Bean Skillet I shared earlier this week, so on a whim I took a few pictures so I could share it with you.
By some miracle I’ve avoided hosting Thanksgiving this year, so I’m planning on bringing this massaged kale salad as one of the side dishes to my sister’s house.
My family has a tendency to put meat on everything, so I want to plan ahead to make sure I have lots of veggie options.
I know my mom is going to *love* this salad, it’s definitely right up her alley. Although, I think that woman would eat anything as long as there were toasted bread crumbs on top. I must get that from her!
This salad is really easy to put together, and a great way to use up that extra kale you have in the fridge.
Sometimes I add cooked beans to this salad to make a little veggie-power-bowl, and let me tell you: it’s delicious.
Chopped walnuts are also a delicious addition, and a great way to add more protein and healthy fat.
Well, what are you waiting for?
Here’s the Recipe!
Kale and Wild Rice Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup wild rice blend - rinsed
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves - stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- 1 slice stale* crusty bread - use a heel if you have it!
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Juice of one half a lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the rinsed wild rice along with two cups of water in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes; drain off excess water and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the kale in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with one tablespoon of the olive oil. Use your hands to massage the oil into the kale for 2 to 3 minutes, until saturated and dark in color. Set aside.
- Place the stale bread in a food processor or blender and pulse into crumbs. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown and toasted.
- Add the cooked rice, grated cheese, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the mixing bowl and toss together with the kale.
- Transfer the salad to a serving dish, top with the toasted bread crumbs and serve.