Dried dates and crunchy pistachios make this Moroccan Chickpea Salad recipe both sweet and savory!
Things are cooling off around here as we ease into autumn, which means we get to go back to using the oven and eating warm food. HOORAY!
I love to eat richly spiced food this time of year, and this Moroccan Chickpea Salad is just what I need.
This warm chickpea salad recipe is chock full of crunchy almonds and pistachios, as well as golden raisins and dried dates to add a wonderful sweetness to the dish. Everything is rounded out with a warmly spiced lemon dressing that makes me feel all warm and cozy.
Because the chickpeas are pan-fried, this dish comes out slightly warm and tastes perfect that way. I’ve also eaten it room temperature and chilled, both of which were also delicious.
If you have leftovers, try serving them over a bed of couscous, or mixing it into some arugula for a quick and easy salad.
One ingredient in this Moroccan salad recipe that you might not be familiar with is Ras El Hanout. Ras El Hanout is a Moroccan spice blend made from a mixture of coriander, turmeric, cardamom, black pepper, clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
It’s one of my favorite spice blends to keep on hand because it adds instant Moroccan flavor to whatever you’re cooking. I use this brand;
Both the quality and the price are incredible!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon honey*
- 1/4 teaspoon ras el hanout
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 6 dried pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In the bottom of a large serving bowl, whisk together two tablespoons of the olive oil along with the lemon juice and zest, red wine vinegar, pressed garlic, honey, ras el hanout and salt.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add half of the chickpeas and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy. Transfer the fried chickpeas to the serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining half of the chickpeas.
- Add the sliced shallot to the hot pan and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened and slightly translucent. Transfer to the serving bowl along with the pistachio, almonds, raisins, and dates.
- Toss well and serve warm.
*use Agave for vegan
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 456Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 0mgSodium 236mgCarbohydrates 59gFiber 12gSugar 25gProtein 13g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
Please note that this recipe is often misspelled as: Morrocan chickpea salad recipe, Morrocan chick pea salad recipe and Moroccan chick pea salad recipe.
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on