Spiced potatoes, chickpeas and carrots are simmered in a savory vegetable broth with spinach and plump raisins. Toasted cashews and fresh lemon juice add crunch and freshness to this hearty meal!
The leftovers from this Indian Potato Chickpea Stew were consumed for breakfast in my house.
I’m pretty much obsessed with anything and everything Indian food, and this recipe hits the spot every single time.
This dish calls for one of my all time favorite ingredients: garam masala.
Garam masala is a delicious Indian spice blend which you can either make yourself or purchase pre-mixed if you want to save some time. I love using this blend from Simply Organic – it’s my very favorite.
Once you add a little garam masala to this dish your whole kitchen will smell like heavenly Indian food and you’ll wonder how you ever lived without a supply of this spice mix on hand.
My favorite part of this dish (other than the garam masala, of course) are the plump, sweet raisins. I love when a dish has a little sweetness to it!
My second favorite part has to be the toasted cashews. They add so much flavor and a much-needed crunch to this hearty stew.
You can gobble this up as is, or do as I do and serve it atop a bed of basmati rice. Dinnertime perfection!
Here’s Your Recipe!
The Wanderlust Kitchen
(Vegan!) Indian Potato Chickpea Stew: Spiced potatoes, chickpeas and carrots are simmered in a savory vegetable broth with spinach and plump raisins. Toasted cashews and fresh lemon juice add crunch and freshness to this hearty meal!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
5 based on 2 review(s)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons raisins
- 1/3 cup cashew pieces
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the carrot, potato, garam masala and cumin. Saute for 1 minute, then add the garlic and onion and stir well.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and allow the mixture to boil for 2 minutes. Add the chickpeas and the raisins, cover the pan, and turn the heat down to medium-low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, place a dry saute pan over medium heat and toast the cashews, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the stew is done simmering, stir in the spinach and allow it to wilt for 1 minute. Stir in the cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Sprinkle the cashews over the top before serving.