This delicious, Skinny Chicken Peanut Stew recipe is a tasty mix of chicken, onion, orange bell pepper, tomatoes, spinach, brown sugar, garlic, chili powder, powdered peanut butter and chicken broth for a low fat, low calorie dish!
I remember the first time I heard about using peanut butter as an ingredient in soups and stews and thinking that it sounded incredibly nasty. I’m SO glad I threw caution to the wind and gave it a try!
The only downside to peanut butter is the high fat content. Total bummer. I’ve been buying powdered peanut butter lately and absolutely adore it as a low-fat alternative!
I swear, you can’t tell the difference unless you’re eating it straight out of the jar. Which you shouldn’t do, because it is powder. I use a brand called “Just Great Stuff” but I’ve heard that PB2 has a nice version as well. I think there should be more peanut butter powder recipes in the world, so here is my first.
This powdered peanut butter recipe is for a “skinny” version of chicken peanut stew. I’ve lightened it up a bit to make it a low calorie stew that is more waist-line and weight watchers friendly for those of us who have to care about such things.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced in bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large orange pepper, sliced thin and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ginger root, minced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 lb. fresh baby spinach leaves, rinsed and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Grapeseed Oil
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Reduced-Fat Powdered Peanut Butter (you can substitute regular PB, but adjust nutrition information)
- 2 c. fat free chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the grapeseed oil with the sesame oil, a pinch of salt, lots of black pepper, the chili powder, minced ginger, brown sugar and garlic.
- Mix it with the chicken and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add the chicken mixture. Let it cook undisturbed for two minutes, then turn the mixture over and cook for another two minutes to let it brown. Stir, then cook for another five minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the powdered peanut butter, broth, and tomatoes. Bring it to a boil, reduce it to a simmer, and cook, 20-25 minutes uncovered.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (salt, pepper, chili powder, brown sugar) as needed.
- Stir in the spinach, and turn off the heat as soon as it wilts.
- Serve over rice.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 229Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 66mgSodium 454mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 28g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
August 7, 2013 | Last Updated on December 18, 2020 by Linda