Perfect for a filling breakfast or a quick dinner, this savory frittata is filled with mushrooms, leeks, and asiago cheese.
For whatever reason, the husband and I have been on a serious breakfast-for-dinner kick lately.
I think it’s because we’ve been so busy with the holidays and the remodel that we forget to grocery shop and don’t have many other options. Whenever we’re seriously lacking for dinnertime inspiration, eggs are always an easy option.
I’m not sure why this is, but I feel like frittatas simply don’t get the credit they deserve. They are quick, easily customizable, and great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Essentially, a frittata is like a quiche but without the hassle of the crust.
Without crust, frittatas have quite a few less calories than quiche, which makes them even more awesome!
I’ve also found great success swapping a few of the eggs for some egg whites instead. I usually use two egg whites for every full egg I remove, but I never replace more than half of the eggs with egg whites.
This recipe calls for 6 eggs, so I would make sure to use at least 3 full eggs in the recipe (plus 6 egg whites). Any less yolk than that and you are wandering into icky-diet-food territory.
You’re going to go crazy for this combination of savory mushrooms, sharp leeks, and salty asiago cheese!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces grated asiago cheese, divided
- 2 ounces crimini (brown) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place an oven-safe 9" nonstick skillet on your stovetop. Add the olive oil to the pan and turn the burner to medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a medium bowl and beat well. Whisk in the milk, salt, pepper, and 2 ounces (half) of the grated cheese.
- Once the oil is hot, add the sliced mushrooms in a single layer. Cook, turning once, for 90 seconds per side. Add the sliced leeks and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and turn off the burner. Carefully transfer the pan to the center rack of your oven. Bake for 15 minutes, until set.
- Remove the pan from the oven and top with the remaining 2 ounces of cheese. Run a spatula around the inside edge of the pan to loosen the frittata. Tilt the pan and use the spatula to tip the frittata out onto a flat surface. Serve garnished with scallions.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 276Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 301mgSodium 780mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 21g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.