A Potato Chip Spanish Tortilla is just the thing for an easy weeknight meal. You only need three ingredients and five minutes–start to finish– to get this dinner on the table!
Today I’m sharing another tapas recipe! Monday I shared my favorite way to make patatas bravas, and on Friday I’m giving you something easy before the weekend: pan con tomate.
Middle of the week means we need an easy weeknight dinner. For that, I love this Potato Chip Spanish Tortilla.
Technically there’s nothing wrong with serving this for breakfast, as it’s an egg dish. I’m not sure I can get on board with potato chips for breakfast, though.
RIGHT. The potato chips. The elephant in the room. I almost completely forgot to talk about those darn things.
Okay, so I had a Spanish tortilla while I was visiting Barcelona recently (I’ve shared a few pictures from that trip on Instagram, if you’re interested ;)), and I fell in love with it. I’ve made “authentic” style tortillas (Spanish-style potato omelets), and while I ADORE them, they can be a bit of work. Like, quite a bit for a weeknight.
I read about using potato chips as a substitute on The Food Lab and was super intrigued. I tried it, and loved the way it turned out! It’s not as amazing as the real thing, but it makes a darn good 5 minutes meal. I used thick-cut (kettle-style) black pepper chips and let me just say YUM.
This dish makes a great base for toppings. This time I just used some halved cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, and cracked pepper. Remember that awesome tomato sauce from Monday? Yeah, that would be really good on this, too.
This makes a filling dinner-for-one, or cut it in half and serve each piece with a simple salad. A glass of red wine wouldn’t be amiss here, either.
I’d love for you to keep in touch! You can enter your email address right here to get new recipes sent to you once per week. Join me on Facebook and Pinterest, or find me on SnapChat (@WanderlustKitch)!!
Here’s Your Recipe!
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups thick-cut potato chips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Optional garnishes: tomato, parsley, leftover tomato sauce from patatas bravas, grated cheese... your choice!
- Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Season the eggs with salt, then fold in the potato chips. Transfer the mixture to the preheated pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place a flat plate over the top of the pan and invert the pan onto the plate to flip the tortilla out. Slide the tortilla back into the pan (golden brown side up). Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until cooked through. Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish as desired and serve hot.