Pan con Tomate (bread with tomato) just might be the easiest– yet tastiest!– appetizer you’ll ever make. Pair with a few Spanish tapas to create a filling and delectable meal!
As far as recipes go, this might be one of the simplest I’ve ever shared. The other one that comes to mind is my “recipe” for how to cook perfect rice. Oddly, one of my more popular posts– I must not have been the only one who struggled to make good rice!
Okay, on to the pan con tomate. It’s basically toast with tomato pulp on it.
I know what you’re thinking… how good could that be, right?
This recipe is all about the ingredients. Start with a good baguette. Dense, with a toothy crust. I used a rosemary garlic loaf, and it was damn good.
Next, ripe tomatoes. Bonus points if they come from your garden. Or anyone’s garden.
Finally, high-quality olive oil. Now is the time to bust out that special little bottle that you’ve been saving for a special occasion. Pan con tomate IS that occasion.
If you haven’t caught up on Outlander yet, GO WATCH IT. I started re-reading the series after I watched the season finale last week because I’m going through withdrawals. I’m a bit obsessed with it.
Oh, and speaking from experience, this is also great as a simple dinner with a few glasses of wine. Hey, it’s not gourmetnighteverynight around here.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 3 ripe tomatoes, halved
- 12 inch baguette, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- Coarse salt
- Grate the tomatoes, cut side down, on a medium-size grater until only the skin remains. Discard the skin.
- Preheat the oven's broiler to "high". Slice the halved baguettes into six 4"-long pieces. Brush each with the olive oil. Broil in the preheated oven about 4 inches away from the heat source for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the toasted bread from the oven and immediately rub the cut sides of the garlic clove. Spoon the tomato mixture onto the bread. Sprinkle generously with salt and drizzle with a bit more olive oil. Serve warm.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 179 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 425mg Carbohydrates 31g Fiber 2g Sugar 4g Protein 6g