Friends and family will love the bold flavors in this fun Cheesy Mexican Cornbread recipe!
You guys. This cornbread.
I can’t even.
The green chiles. The taco seasoning. The cheeeeeeeese.
This is what dreams are made of. Cornbread and beautiful cast iron cookware. *sigh*
I’m obsessed with cast iron and am always excited to add a new piece to my collection.
You don’t *have* to have this special pan to make this recipe, but it sure does make pretty little cornbread triangles. Plus, it makes it super easy to flash freeze them for emergency breakfast snacks. Yep, that’s what my life is like. No shame.
I really, really want to try making a cake with this pan. Wouldn’t it be amazing to have a cake that was already baked into slices!? Someone slap me and tell me I’m crazy.
I’m having so much fun with Mexican recipes this year thanks to my super amazing partnership with Old El Paso™. What girl doesn’t need a green chile hook-up? But, for real. I put those things in everything.
The chilies go SO well with the taco seasoning and sweet corn kernels in this recipe. Sweet + Savory makes me a very happy food blogger.
Go forth and make cornbread!
OTHER DELICIOUS MEXICAN RECIPES
Cheesy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Old El Paso™ Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs - lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 can - 4 oz Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - melted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place a 12” cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat the temperature to 375°.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, taco seasoning, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Pour the buttermilk and beaten eggs into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Gently mix in the corn kernels and green chiles.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the preheated oven and place on a protected surface. Use a pastry brush to grease the bottom and sides of the skillet with about 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. Stir the rest of the melted butter into the cornbread batter.
- Transfer the batter into the hot skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately top with shredded cheese. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Today’s recipe is sponsored by the wonderful people over at Old El Paso. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Wanderlust Kitchen!