This Vegetarian Smoky Chipotle Refried Beans recipe is a great way to spice up your refried beans for a delicious side dish for your next Mexican dinner!
Errmehgersh these beans are delicious.
Have you ever made refried beans? They are surprisingly easy – especially when you use my no-soak method.
Preheat your oven to 325. Place a pound of pinto beans in a 3-quart or larger Dutch oven and add enough water to cover them by 1 inch. Put the pot in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check the beans and stir; if they are tender, take them out. If not, put them back in and check again in 15 minutes. Easy peasy!
If I actually had to take the time to soak beans overnight, I would likely never make them from scratch. I just can’t plan that far ahead.
This is also why I can’t bake bread that has a rise time of longer than 2 hours.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 Dried Chipotle Pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Whole Coriander
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound pinto beans, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Toast the dried chipotle pepper and garlic in a dry skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a small bowl of water. Let soak 15 minutes.
- Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a dry pan over low heat until fragrant (30 to 60 seconds). Transfer to the bowl of a food processor or blender along with dehydrated pepper, broth and salt. Puree until liquefied. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beans and stir well. Cover and cook 5 minutes to soften.
- Uncover the pan and begin to mash the beans using the back of a wooden spoon. As the mixture begins to look dry, add 1/2 cup of the chili-broth mixture at a time to moisten. Continue until all beans are mashed. Fry an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
Optionally garnish with cheddar cheese, jalapenos and cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 147Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 325mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 5gSugar 1gProtein 5g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.