The world’s most under-appreciated breakfast just got a whole lot tastier. This savory Tex-Mex Dutch Baby will delight and satisfy everyone at the table.
Tex Mex Dutch Baby? Huh?
WAIT. Don’t go.
Just hear me out.
It’s starting to become a very busy time of the year, and even though back-to-school truly doesn’t affect me in any way, it somehow seems like my life is getting busier all the same.
Easy weeknight dinners are my JAM and this recipe is no exception.
Remember when I shared that Savory Dutch Baby recipe with you? Well, lately I’ve been on a Dutch Baby kick and went completely off my rocker by creating this Mexican-inspired version.
It’s so incredibly basic, but so incredibly good.
Here’s all you need to do:
Step 1: Place a cast iron pan in your oven and preheat it to 425F.
Step 2: Throw a bunch of ingredients in a blender. Namely, eggs, milk, flour, salt, and a touch of cumin. Let the batter hang out for 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 3: Once the oven has preheated and the pan is screaming hot, carefully melt some butter into the pan and then pour in the batter. Bake it until it’s all puffy.
Step 4: Remove the Dutch Baby from the oven and top with pico de gallo, pickled peppers, fried egg, avocado, and tons of sour cream (not pictured, but I added it after the fact and it was, as the kids say, amazeballs).
See? I told you it was basic. This is definitely a recipe to keep on hand for nights when you have nothing to make for dinner. You can top a Dutch Baby with basically whatever you have lying around.
I’m thinking that a Greek-style one would be absolutely delicious, especially because it seems like I always have feta cheese and some random jars of artichokes and olives in the fridge.
Here’s the Tex Mex Dutch Baby Recipe!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated pepperjack cheese
- Toppings: pico de gallo, fried eggs, avocado, and pickled peppers
- Place a 10" cast iron skillet on the middle rack of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, place the milk, eggs, flour, salt, garlic powder, and cumin in the bowl of a large blender and quickly puree until combined.
- Once the oven and the cast iron pan have preheated, carefully remove the pan from the oven and place on the stove top. Place the butter in the hot pan and use a spatula to coat the bottom and sides.
- Pour the batter into the buttered pan and scatter the pepperjack cheese on top. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until browned and puffed.
- Serve the Dutch Baby with your tex-mex style toppings of choice.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 993Total Fat 65gSaturated Fat 29gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 32gCholesterol 565mgSodium 1345mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 10gSugar 10gProtein 37g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.