This Warm German Potato Salad recipe is perfect for Oktoberfest or and cold day where you need a delicious warm side dish.
It’s so good I can hardly contain myself. Realistically, just about anything that involves bacon is going to be good. You know it and I know it, so just go ahead and plan to make this hot German potato salad.
Here’s a fun idea I have for you:
Are you listening?
Okay, good. You should host an Oktoberfest themed dinner party. No joke, it will be amazing.
Just like that, you have big plans for this weekend!
You should also probably pick up some German-style beer. We all know that’s what Oktoberfest is really about.
Now that I’ve convinced you to host a party, could you please invite me?
I’ll let you in on a little secret:
Sometimes food bloggers like to be fed.
Even better if someone else does the dishes!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 pounds red potatoes, washed and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, vertically sliced
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain or dijon mustard
- 6 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced potatoes and cook 10-15 minutes, or just until fork tender. Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and reserve 2 Tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook in bacon grease for 5-7 minutes until browned. Stir in the mustard, vinegar, and pepper. Return bacon to the pan.
- Pour the onion-bacon mixture over the top of the cooked potatoes and toss well. Taste and add salt as needed. Garnish with chopped scallions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244|Total Fat: 10g|Saturated Fat: 3g|Trans Fat: 0g|Unsaturated Fat: 6g|Cholesterol: 28mg|Sodium: 543mg|Carbohydrates: 24g|Fiber: 2g|Sugar: 2g|Protein: 13g|
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
September 17, 2014 | Last Updated on January 7, 2021 by Linda