This classic German Potato Pancakes recipe, also known as Kartoffelpuffer, is a savory and crispy side dish that can be served with any meal!
As an American, when I hear the word pancake I think of a sweet fluffy breakfast dish served with butter and syrup. Well, these German pancakes couldn’t be more opposite. These pancakes are typically served as a side dish to a protein main dish, or even as an appetizer before a meal.
As is tradition, this German pancakes recipe is served with Sour Cream and Applesauce.
Yes. You read that correctly, applesauce.
I know it might sound odd but seriously, don’t knock it until you try it. The sweetness and tang from applesauce and the crunch and flavor from the onions in the pancake is the perfect combination.
How to Make Potato Pancakes
Assemble your ingredients. For exact amounts please see recipe card below.
In a large bowl mix together eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Then, mix in the potatoes and onion.
In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat.
In batches drop in a large tablespoonful into the skillet pressing them to flatten.
Cook about 3 minutes on each side until browned and crisped and drain onto paper towels.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and apple sauce and enjoy!
What to Serve with German Potato Pancakes
With this being a classic European dish I would recommend the following dishes to serve alongside this potato pancake recipe:
Chicken Souvlaki – This is my favorite main dish to have with German potato Pancakes for how well they balance each other out and I would even recommend trying a pancake with our classic Greek Tzatziki sauce, a real game changer.
German Beer Cheese Soup – Beer, Cheese, and Potatoes. The ultimate comfort food meal, perfect for the winter time.
German Pork Schnitzel – Another classic German recipe that pairs nicely with these savory pancakes.
MORE GERMAN POTATO RECIPES TO TRY
German Potato Pancakes Recipe (Kartoffelpuffer Recipe)
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and shredded* See Note Below for process
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup vegetable oil for cooking*
- Sour cream and applesauce for serving
- 1. In a large bowl mix together eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Then, mix in the potatoes and onion.
- 2. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat.
- 3. In batches drop in a large tablespoonful into the skillet pressing them to flatten.
- 4. Cook about 3 minutes on each side until browned and crisped.
- 5. Drain onto paper towels.
- 6. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and applesauce and enjoy.