This Couscous Paella recipe blends chicken, sausage and couscous with peas, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, garlic, olive oil and spices for a delicious, easy and filling one pan dish!
This fun twist on classic Paella uses couscous instead of rice for a 20-minute dinner recipe.
Yep, you read that right. TWENTY MINUTES for this couscous dinner.
It’s like a gift sent straight from the dinner gods.
How is this couscous sausage and chicken dish possible, you ask?
Well, first, there’s not a lot of prep work involved. Just slice some kielbasa, dice a red pepper, cut up a chicken breast, and mince some garlic.
I’m a huge fan of using the least amount of dishes as possible, so I use just one cutting board and one knife by starting with the garlic, then dicing the pepper, slicing the pre-cooked kielbasa, and finishing with the raw chicken. Easy peasy!
As with probably 80% of the things I cook, I used my favorite cast iron pan to put this couscous with sausage and chicken together.
This is a great chicken and sausage couscous recipe to keep on-hand for those nights when you forgot to make any plans for dinner. I love keeping kielbasa in the freezer because it’s pre-cooked and thaws in a water bath in just a few minutes time. Even if you don’t have any chicken in the house, I bet you have some random leftover vegetables and perhaps even a bag of peas in the back of your freezer.
Four very hungry people could demolish this couscous and sausage pan pretty easily, though in my house it made three dinners and three lunches. I think it tastes better the longer it sits in the fridge and soaks up all those tasty flavors!
Please pin this on Pinterest:
Enjoy this hearty dinner, my friends!
Here’s the Recipe!
Couscous Paella with Sausage and Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth*
- 1 1/2 cups dry couscous
- 1 10-12 ounce bag frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper - diced
- 6 ounces sliced kielbasa
- 1 large chicken breast - cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon - cut into wedges
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling, turn the heat off and stir in the couscous and peas. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While the couscous is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and swirl in the oilve oil. Add the pepper and kielbasa to the pan and arrange in a single layer as much as possible. Allow to brown for 5 minutes undisturbed. Add the chicken pieces, garlic, salt, thyme, and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Turn the heat off.
- Fluff the cooked couscous with a fork and transfer to the skillet along with the halved tomatoes. Use a wooden spoon to fold the ingredients together. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.