This Creamy Black Bean Soup recipe is a delectable combination of black beans, grated carrot, chicken broth, sour cream and spices for a soup that is delicious and high in protein and fiber!
This is one of my favorite ways to use up some of the Oven Beans cooked earlier in the week. Sometimes I’ll cook the Oven Beans, remove what I want to save, and then just make this soup in the same pot!
I use my blender to puree the mixture, but if you have an immersion blender you should definitely use it as we want this to be a pureed black bean soup base before adding back in the whole beans. If you need one, you can pick up this top selling, affordable immersion blender from Amazon.
This soup is filling, low in fat and calories, high in fiber, and very tasty!
Here’s the Recipe!
Creamy Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 3 cups black beans - cooked, divided
- 1 carrot - grated
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth - can substitute vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream - plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Cilantro and scallions for garnish
- Reserve ½ cup of the whole black beans outside of the pot.
- Bring the remaining beans, chicken broth, water, carrot, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- After about five minutes, reduce the heat to low and transfer the contents of the pot to a blender. Hold the lid tight (the heat from the soup tends to build pressure inside the blender) and pulse the contents until smooth. Alternatively, you can puree the beans directly in the pot with an immersion blender.
- Return the mixture to the pot and add the reserved whole beans back in (this gives the soup some texture).
- Stir in the half cup of sour cream until incorporated.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream, chopped scallions, and a sprinkling of cilantro.