This Healthy Moroccan Chicken Wrap recipe features chicken with harissa sauce and spices, in a delicious tortilla wrap with spinach leaves, golden raisins, sliced almonds and a honey yogurt lemon sauce.
Some days, you just need an easy, healthy, and super-quick lunch.
And on those days, you’ll probably want your lunch to actually taste good. Because, you know, bad-tasting food isn’t really my thing.
Healthy Moroccan Chicken Wrap!
So simple, yet so delicious.
I’m always on the lookout for great ways to use up leftover chicken, and I recently found myself with lots of leftover Israeli Roast Chicken.
I wanted to spice things up a bit, so my mind instantly went to a Moroccan-style wrap using harissa sauce. Harissa is a wonderfully flavorful mixture of peppers, garlic, olive oil and spices used in North African cooking.
I’ve tried my fair share of harissa sauces and pastes, but felt that many of them were too overpowered with heat to allow you any sense of the more subtle flavors underneath.
I’ve used the Spicy sauce to toss with hot roasted potatoes and used the Green Pepper version to brighten up a quick soup.
Harissa is the perfect condiment to keep in your fridge for whenever you want to add a little “something” to a dish.
Since this Moroccan wrap recipe is all about being quick and easy, let me give you a brief run-down of the recipe process.
First, toss together leftover chicken with a few spices and harissa sauce. Next, place it in a tortilla on top of a bed of spinach.
Sprinkle some golden raisins and sliced almonds right in there, then top with a super easy honey-yogurt-lemon sauce.
Doesn’t that Moroccan chicken harrissa wrap look delicious?
Wrap it all up, cut it in half, and enjoy!
Healthy Moroccan Chicken Wrap Recipe
For the Chicken
- 2 Tbsp. harissa sauce - I used Mild Mina Harissa
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 1 1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken
- Salt to taste
For the Wrap
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 low-fat flour tortillas - burrito-sized
- 4 Tbsp. golden raisins
- 4 Tbsp. sliced almonds
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup Honey flavor Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the harissa, cayenne, white pepper, cinnamon, and allspice. Add the chopped chicken pieces and toss well to coat. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Arrange ¼ cup of spinach leaves in a rectangle in the center of one tortilla, leaving room around the edges. Then, place ¾ cup of chicken on top of the spinach, then sprinkle 2 tablespoons each of golden raisins and almond slivers on top.
- Whisk together the yogurt and fresh lemon juice. Spoon or drizzle half of the sauce over the wrap filling.
- Roll the wrap up like a burrito. Slice it in half on a diagonal.
- Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients to form the second wrap. Serve it alongside pita chips or salad, and enjoy!