This One Pan Roasted Harissa Chicken recipe adds chickpeas, carrots, and cauliflower to turn this pan roasted harissa chicken into a one-skillet meal!
I don’t think you can ever have too many skillet dinners in your repertoire. I mean, what’s NOT to love about a quick and easy dinner that only leaves you with ONE pan to wash? It’s like a kitchen miracle.
Since we’re still in the middle of home remodeling hell, one-pan skillet dinners are nothing short of a godsend.
My favorite go-to recipes when I’m too lazy to do much of anything are my Tuscan Chicken Skillet, my Saucy Mexican Chicken Skillet, and this Moroccan Chicken Skillet. See what I mean about skillet dinners!?
If you’re looking for another reason to love this one pan roasted harissa chicken, here it is: this dinner is actually good for you!
There are no mystery chemical ingredients, no heavy carbs, no fattening cheeses (sorry cheese, you know I love you!), and you’ll STILL feel totally satisfied at the end of your meal.
The only ingredient that you *might* not be familiar with is harissa. If this is the case, I hate to tell you but you’re seriously missing out. Harissa is a spiced red pepper sauce frequently used in North African cooking, and it is pretty much da bomb (ß yep, just said that).
It’s made from red chili and bell peppers, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and salt. All very familiar ingredients, yes?
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 12″ or larger oven-proof skillet
- Tongs (optional, but I love them!)
- A sharp knife and a cutting board
Here’s the Recipe!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons harissa (mild or spicy)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup small cauliflower florets
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, halved
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and position a rack in the center of the oven.
- Toss the chicken thighs with the harissa in a large bowl. Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a 12" or larger oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is just barely smoking, add the chicken thighs to the pan in a single layer. Let cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. Turn the thighs over and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the pan along with the carrots and cauliflower. Saute for 90 seconds. Add the chickpeas and toss well. Place both lemon halves in the pan cut side down, snugly against the bottom of the pan so the fruit will caramelize in the oven.
- Return the chicken to the pan, nestling each piece under the vegetables. Use pot holders to carefully transfer the pan to the oven. Roast, uncovered, for 25 minutes, flipping the chicken over halfway through.
- Serve right out of the skillet; use tongs to squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken (watch for seeds!).
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 632Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 273mgSodium 1063mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 12gSugar 8gProtein 65g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.