I have a bit of an obsession with skillet meals.
It’s no secret that my Tuscan Chicken Skillet recipe is the most popular post on TWK, and for good reason, too. Who doesn’t love one-pan meals that are done in less than an hour?
I figured that you are probably in need of another skillet recipe to add to your repertoire, so I came up with this new Moroccan Chicken Skillet recipe!
One of my favorite Moroccan dishes is a tagine made with chicken and apricots. I always order a version of this dish when I visit my favorite Moroccan restaurant.
Unfortunately, it’s a little difficult for me to make at home. I don’t usually have the time (or equipment) to make a tagine (seriously, you need like a whole clay pot thing… does anyone actually have one of these?), but we can all make this easy skillet version of one of my favorite dishes.
You’ll love the satisfying combination of savory chicken thighs, sweet apricots, and toothy chickpeas. This dinner really hits the spot!
Couscous makes a wonderful accompaniment to this dish; it soaks up the sauce and adds a really fun texture to the meal.
Believe it or not, I ate these leftovers for lunch three days in a row! I ran out of couscous on the last day, so I can tell you with confidence that the chicken skillet itself is enough for a hearty meal. The chickpeas really fill you up!
I’m starting to reallllly love this whole 30-Minute Monday series. It certainly doesn’t hurt for me to have more 30 minute recipes to make throughout the week, and I hope that you find them as practical and delicious as I do!
What do you think about the idea of continuing this series past the original 12-week end date? Let me know in the comments!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
A good cast iron skillet. I love this super affordable and dependable version from Lodge.
A lid for said cast iron skillet – conveniently, Lodge offers a matching lid.
Pin to Pinterest and Share with Your Friends:
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon seeded and minced jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons Moroccan spice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup halved dried dates
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (Turkish variety if you can find them)
- 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Couscous for serving (optional)
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Pat the chicken pieces dry and add to the flour mixture, tossing to coat both sides.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add the chicken thighs and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until browned. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the sliced onion to the pan and cook 5-7 minutes until softened and brown. Stir in the Moroccan spice mixture, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook for 30 seconds, then add the broth, dates, and apricots.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Cover, turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the chickpeas and vinegar. Taste and add salt as needed. Garnish with sliced almonds and serve with couscous (optional).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 655Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 208mgSodium 874mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 12gSugar 27gProtein 55g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.