Vanilla frozen Greek yogurt stands in for ice cream in this lightened up version of my favorite Bananas Foster Milkshake recipe!
Soooo I’m pretty much obsessed with anything-and-everything New Orleans nowadays. Ever since I got back from my trip to The Big Easy, I just can’t stop thinking about that place.
I’ve been re-creating my favorite restaurant meals, listening to Jazz music all day while I work, and exclusively reading books which take place in Louisiana.
I think I’m driving the husband completely nuts with all of it. For whatever reason, I can’t shake the feeling that I need to go back there!
If you’ve ever spent time in NOLA, you need to leave me a comment and tell me if I’m completely crazy, or if you totally loved it as much as I did, too.
So, this brings me to today’s topic of discussion: Bananas Foster.
Oh my heavens, Bananas Foster. I finished quite a few meals in New Orleans with a helping of Bananas Foster… once even at breakfast.
Since I’ve been home I’ve been eating my fill of bananas foster flavored yogurt (who knew there was such a thing, right?) and bananas foster ice cream, but my favorite way to eat it is this super tasty (and lightened up) Bananas Foster Milkshake.
This milkshake with banana, rum and caramel will bring all the boys to the yard. It’s so darn tasty, and you won’t feel entirely guilty about it because it contains banana (fruit!) and I already told you it was lightened up so just LAY OFF THE GUILT ALREADY. You need this milkshake in your life.
Just look at that deliciousness of one of the most tasty of all shakes with bananas!
How to Make a Banana Milkshake
Here’s the low-down:
Melt some butter in a pan (yes, butter. I said lightened-up, not healthy).
Fry some banana in that butter.
Pour some rum in there and toss the fried bananas in it.
Put all that stuff in a blender.
Add a dollop of caramel sauce and the frozen Greek yogurt, then blend to your little heart’s content.
You could make your own caramel sauce if you wanted to be all Betty Crocker about things, but I just bought a squeeze bottle of this awesomeness from Torani…. and now it gets put in my coffee every morning. Bonus!
Here’s the Lightened Up Bananas Foster Milkshake Recipe!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large rip banana, peeled
- 1 ounce white rum
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce (and a little more for drizzle)
- 6 ounces vanilla Greek frozen yogurt
- 1 ounce milk (or more as needed)
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a small frying pan. Slice the banana in half lengthwise and fry in the butter for 1-2 minutes per side until caramelized.
- Pour the rum into the pan (using caution when near open flame) and toss the bananas around the absorb the liquid. Transfer the bananas and any pan sauce to the bowl of a large blender.
- Add the caramel sauce and frozen yogurt to the blender, along with an ounce of milk. Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle caramel sauce into a glass and pour in the milkshake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1058|Total Fat: 19g|Saturated Fat: 12g|Trans Fat: 0g|Unsaturated Fat: 6g|Cholesterol: 56mg|Sodium: 214mg|Carbohydrates: 103g|Fiber: 4g|Sugar: 85g|Protein: 8g|
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
March 23, 2015 | Last Updated on January 27, 2021 by Linda