With all of the flavor of your favorite Mexican dish, this super easy Chicken Fajita Soup recipe satisfies even the strongest craving!
I think we may have set a new record for how quickly a pot of soup disappeared in this house.
I had big plans yesterday to make the most out of my day and get lots and lots of work done. I woke up, made breakfast, did some yoga, checked my emails, then got to work in the kitchen.
I had to make the delicious chicken fajita soup.
It is hard work making such a delicious recipe for chicken fajita soup.
We have to test them you know, so a friend and I each ate a big bowl of this chicken fajita soup for lunch.
Then the husband and I each ate another giant bowl of soup for dinner. I’m pretty sure this recipe would have made 6 servings if we weren’t so hungry.
The sweet, sweet memory of this soup may just help you get through a tough day! It did for me!
I should tell you that the crispy fried tortilla strips are amazing, but if you’re trying to cut carbs the soup is absolutely delicious without them, too. I tried it both ways for you because I love you so much.
Whatever you do, don’t skimp on the cilantro or lime juice!!
Pin this and Share with your Friends!
Here’s the Recipe!
Super Easy Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless - skinless chicken breasts, sliced into bite-sized strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper - sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 green bell pepper - sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion - sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 corn tortillas - sliced into strips
- Extra vegetable oil for frying
- Lime Wedges
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over high heat in a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chicken pieces in a single layer. Sprinkle the cumin, coriander, thyme, salt, and pepper over the top of the chicken. Allow the chicken to cook, undisturbed, until it is browned and releases naturally from the pot (4 to 5 minutes). Add the peppers and onions and toss well. Saute for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Pour in the broth and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Cover the pot, turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat ¼ inch of vegetable oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the tortilla slices and fry until the pieces begin to feel stiff (about 60-90 seconds). Remove with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel-line plate to drain.
- Taste the soup and add salt as needed. Serve topped with tortilla strips and garnishes of your choice.