Vegan Sweet Potato Fajitas | Tender sweet potato and smoky mushrooms stand in for meat in this easy fajita recipe!
As someone who has been eating meat-free for the past few months, I often find myself with leftover veggies hanging out in the fridge.
I’ve come up with quite a few ways to use them, including turning them into fritters, making grilled veggie skewers, and even putting them in savory pancakes (it’s better than it sounds, trust me!).
My latest and greatest idea is vegan fajitas!
I almost *always* have a few sweet potatoes on hand, as well as onion, bell pepper, and a few lonely mushrooms.
Old El Paso™ Fajita Seasoning and Soft Tortilla Taco Boats are a pantry staple in my house, so Mexican food is always just a few minutes away.
Fresh lime and cilantro (two of my all time favorite flavors) are the perfect garnishes to liven up this savory dish. Of course, if you’re not eating vegan you could always top these with a bit of sour cream or Greek yogurt.
These really couldn’t be any easier to make!
Just slice up all your veggies (keeping them uniform in size and thickness will help them cook evenly), toss them with oil and fajita seasoning, then throw onto a sizzling hot pan and let them get all caramelized and smoky.
Serve in warm taco boats with your favorite toppings – this would be a great time to make some quick guacamole!
Here’s Your Recipe!
The Wanderlust Kitchen
Tender sweet potato and smoky mushrooms stand in for meat in this easy vegan fajita recipe!
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into thin strips (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced red bell pepper (about 1 large pepper)
- 3/4 cups sliced green bell pepper (about 1/2 a large pepper)
- 1 cup sliced white onion (about 1/2 a large onion)
- 4 ounces brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (1-ounce) packet Old El Paso™ Fajita seasoning
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (8-count) package Old El Paso™ Soft Tortilla Taco Boats
- Sliced avocado (or guacamole)
- Chopped cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges for squeezing
- Place the sweet potato, bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the fajita seasoning and oil. Pour the seasoned oil over the top of the vegetables and toss well to coat.
- Preheat a large skillet over high-heat. Once the surface is very hot, add the seasoned vegetables and immediately turn the heat down to medium. Sauté the vegetables until they are tender and slightly blackened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Serve with warm Soft Tortilla Taco Boats and toppings of choice.
If you are using a medium-sized skillet, cook the fajitas in two batches so as to avoid overcrowding the pan.
For an added crunch, toast the taco boats prior to serving: Preheat your oven to 325° Fahrenheit. Arrange the taco boats on a large baking sheet and lightly spritz with cooking spray or olive oil. Bake in the heated oven for 2-3 minutes, until warm and slightly toasted.
Today’s recipe is sponsored by the wonderful people over at Old El Paso. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Wanderlust Kitchen!