Sometimes you just need a no-fuss side dish. You know what I’m talking about. Those days when cooking is a hassle all together, or the main dish is already complicated enough, or you get invited to that last-minute potluck and don’t have all day to make something. That’s where this Thai Peanut-Ginger Slaw comes in.
To the rescue! I kid you not, you can have this done in FIVE MINUTES.
Yes, I timed myself.
Part of what makes it so easy is that I cheated a little bit and used a pre-packaged produce item. GASP! I know, it’s weird, isn’t it? I never buy those salad kits or pre-cut fruit, but the one pre-packaged item I swear by is broccoli slaw. It’s just amazing.
Sometimes I use it in place of pasta or swap out half my Pad Thai noodles with the stuff to bring down the calories. It sounds crazy but it works.
Here’s how you make this Thai Peanut-Ginger Slaw: basically you just dump the broccoli slaw in a bowl with a handful of cilantro leaves. Put some peanuts, lime juice, fish sauce (or salt), oil, vinegar, and fresh ginger in a food processor and go to town on it. Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss to coat. Sprinkle a few reserved peanuts over the top and you are good-to-go.
See, I told you it was easy. Come to think of it, I’ve been sharing a LOT of easy recipes with you guys lately. Let’s just say it’s because it’s hot outside and not because I’m lazy okay?
My favorite kind of recipes are ones where the food processor does all the hard work. I used my handy counter-top size food processor and it was a breeze. Chucked the bowl, blade, and lid right into the dishwasher and cleanup was done!
Alright, go get busy!
Here’s Your Recipe!
- 1 package broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup peanuts, divided
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce (or salt)
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, roughly chopped
- Place broccoli slaw and cilantro leaves in a large bowl.
- Put half of the peanuts until the bowl of a food processor along with the lime juice, fish sauce, peanut oil, vinegar, and ginger. Process until liquefied.
- Roughly chop remaining peanuts and add to the bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.