This quick Creamy Coconut Oatmeal with Macadamia Nuts recipe is served with a spoonful of jam and a drizzle of cream to turn you into a morning person!
Guys, this is becoming a problem. I believe I’m developing something of an oatmeal addiction.
The thing is, I just never saw it coming. I’ve always thought of oatmeal as just a bit… meh.
Oatmeal seemed like the bland or “healthy” choice on the breakfast menu. It took me 28 years, but now I know that my mother was right.
The secret to good oatmeal is loading it with TOPPINGS!
In this case, flaked coconut, chopped macadamia nuts, brown sugar, and jam. Oh, and a healthy drizzle of cream. Obvi.
I’m swimming in leftover blueberry-cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving, so this morning I swapped out my usual spoonful of jam for something a little more festive. Dried cranberries or fresh blueberries would also be delicious!
Sometimes, if I’m feeling *particularly* in need of a tropical vacation, I’ll use marmalade to go along with the coconut and macadamia nuts. It’s like a little luau in your mouth. Ohhhh yeahhhh.
The other secret to good oatmeal is making sure you use cream. Heavy cream or half-and-half are both acceptable; skim milk is NOT.
If you’re like me and don’t have a lot of time to cook in the mornings (you know, because I’m too busy cooking the rest of the day), this quick breakfast will be a lifesaver! I like using quick-cut AKA instant oats AKA quick oats, which is actually fully cooked oatmeal that’s been dried and pressed flat. Essentially you’re just re-hydrating it with the hot water and stirring in your toppings.
Now, I like hearty steel-cut and old fashioned rolled oats as much as the next person, but some times I just need a breakfast that doesn’t feel like WORK.
Pin this and Share with Your Friends!
5 Minute Creamy Coconut Oatmeal with Macadamia Nuts Recipe
- 1 cup dry quick - instant oats
- 1/8 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup loosely packed dried sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped macadamia nuts
- Jam and cream for serving - optional... but not really
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Turn off the heat and stir in the oats. Add the sugar, coconut, and macadamia nuts (reserving some for topping if desired) and gently mix into the oatmeal.
- Transfer to a bowl, top with a spoonful of jam, and drizzle with cream. Serve warm.