Just a few minutes of prep, then everything gets tossed in the slow cooker! Black eyed peas are the perfect comfort food (especially for New Year’s Day!).
I don’t know why it took me so long to figure out that Black Eyed Peas are totally yummy.
I originally put together this recipe this past summer for my Southern-themed birthday party, and it was a total hit. I used some cayenne and liquid smoke to give it a little kick!
I made it in the pressure cooker which was delicious, but I though that converting it to a slow cooker black eyed peas recipe would make it even that much more user-friendly. And I know you want to know how to cook black eyed peas in a crock pot.
I wanted to get this recipe up in time for all of you who like to cook traditional black eyed peas for New Years Day… so, here it is.
You’re welcome. 😉
This black eyed peas crock pot recipe is really easy to put together – just saute the bacon and vegetables, then toss it in the crock pot with the peas, broth, and aromatics.
A few hours later, voila!
These crock pot black eyed peas are delicious on their own, but I also like them served with rice or piled on top of garlic bread.
For New Year’s Day, pile them on top of cornbread.
Leftovers taste even better the next day, so don’t be afraid that you’re making too much all at once.
You can also freeze these crockpot black eyed peas in freezer bags or jars to keep on hand for an easy meal.
If you’re looking for a meatless version, check out my recipe for vegan black eyed peas!
Here’s the black eyed peas slow cooker recipe!
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups dried black eyed peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Splash of Cajun hot sauce (Tabasco works just fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan set over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 10-12 minutes, until the bacon renders its fat. Transfer to the insert of a slow cooker.
- Add the peas, broth, tomatoes, oregano, Cajun seasoning, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and liquid smoke to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours, until the peas are soft.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 31mgSodium 997mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 6gSugar 6gProtein 21g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
Last Updated on