Citrus-scented Sumac and warm Middle Eastern spices add bold flavor to these roasted chickpeas!
Easy snacks are kind of the best thing ever.
Ever since I learned how easy it is to pop popcorn on the stove, I’ve been a bit obsessed with making it for endurance Netflix marathons. I love adding a bit of curry powder or ground ginger for an extra hit of flavor!
Roast chickpeas fall into this same category for me. Easy to make, and easy to customize.
Sometimes I make roast chickpeas with nothing but olive oil and salt, but since I learned about the deliciousness of sumac while making this salad, I’ve been putting that on everything.
If you’re interested in that intriguing loaf of Turkish flatbread next to the chickpeas, DON’T BE.
For whatever reason that bread made my entire house smell like fish and it mostly ruined carbs for me for like… an entire day. It should never have existed, and it has been put out of its misery.
The chickpeas are delicious, though.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the rinsed chickpeas in a flour sack or other absorbent kitchen towel. Gently roll and pat until the towel has absorbed all of the moisture from the chickpeas.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and spices. Add the chickpeas and toss well to coat them with spices. Transfer the seasoned chickpeas to the baking sheet; arrange in a single layer.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes, checking halfway through to shake the pan to turn the chickpeas. Remove from the oven once the chickpeas are light and crispy. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 123 Total Fat 6g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 580mg Carbohydrates 14g Fiber 4g Sugar 2g Protein 4g