A delicious flavor combination comes together in this Thai Green Curry with Eggplant recipe, with red bell peppers, spinach, snow peas, and bean sprouts.
Remember how last week in my Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry post I told you that you could expect lots more curry recipes from me?
This week, I’m sharing my recipe for Thai Green Curry with Eggplant (also called aubergine)!
If you haven’t worked with eggplant before, it may seem a little intimidating. It’s kind of weird and purple, right?
I’ve always found eggplant to be a little bitter for my tastes, so I make sure to peel away all of the purple skin with a vegetable peeler, then dice it up and place it in a strainer with some salt to let the rest of the bitterness drain away.
Once the eggplant has drained for about fifteen minutes, heat some oil in a pan and let it get screamin’ hot.
Add the eggplant and let it get brown and blistered. This will caramelize the outside and add a nice flavor to the vegetable.
This dish uses my Green Curry Sauce recipe. Take the extra few minutes to make the curry sauce from scratch – you won’t believe how easy it is and it will make your house smell amazing.
The red peppers, spinach, and snow peas really bulk up this delicious dish.
My recipe calls for fish sauce, but you can swap it out for soy sauce if you want to make this vegetarian. The recipe won’t taste *exactly* the same, but there’s really no good substitute for the savory umami flavor of fish sauce.
Top with a few fresh bean sprouts for that added crunch and serve over steaming hot Jasmine Rice. Be sure to check out my post on how to make perfect rice every time!
More Popular Thai Dishes to Check Out:
- Thai Tom Kha Gai (Chicken Coconut) Soup
- Thai Peanut Chicken Bake
- Hot and Cold Thai Peanut Noodles
- Rustic Thai Beef Soup
- Thai Curry Coconut Meatballs
- Thai Hidden Chicken
- Thai Lentils with Sweet Potato and Basil
- Thai Beef Skewers and Fava Beans
Thai Green Curry with Eggplant Recipe
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil - divided
- 1 large eggplant - peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper - sliced
- 1/4 pound snow peas
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 2 cups green curry sauce
- 4 wild lime leaves - optional
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Thai basil leaves - chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 lime - cut into wedges
- Make the green curry sauce. Set aside.
- Place the eggplant pieces in a colander and toss with salt. Let stand for fifteen minutes to allow any bitter residue to drain off.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat and add 1 tablespoon of peanut oil. Sear eggplant in hot oil until blistered, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil along with the red pepper and snow peas and sauté for one minute. Add spinach and toss to wilt.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and stir in basic green curry sauce. Add the lime leaves and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lime leaves with a slotted spoon, and stir in the fish sauce and sugar. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh basil leaves.
- Top with bean sprouts. Serve with jasmine rice and lime wedges for squeezing.