This delicious Indian fusion recipe for vegetarian tacos combines chickpeas, leeks and golden raisins with an easy cucumber raita! Perfect for a quick 30-minute dinner!
My relationship with garam masala is getting pretty serious. You should expect to see a Facebook-confirmed relationship status any day now.
But, seriously, I can’t get enough of the stuff! I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: garam masala is the best way to instantly add delicious Indian flavor to just about anything and create an Indian fusion recipe. I’m thinking garam masala ice cream might be on the horizon.
Okay, fine. You win this round.
These tacos are my new favorite thing. I always seem to have a few cans of chickpeas laying around in case I need to whip up an easy dinner when I forgot to make other plans. They are SO tasty when you fry them up in a pan, especially when seasoned with fragrant garam masala and then stuffed into warm taco boat shells.
I love raisins in my Indian food, and I’m obsessed with the way they plump up and absorb the spices in this recipe. You can thank me later.
Cucumber raita, a cool and tangy yogurt sauce, is the perfect topping for the fragrant chickpeas. Indian fusion vegetarian tacos are a weeknight dinner you can feel good about! If you want a vegan tacos recipe, just use vegan Greek yogurt in the Cucumber raita.
Pin this and Share with Your Friends!
Here’s the Recipe!
For the Cucumber Raita
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (use vegan Greek yogurt for a vegan version)
- 1/4 cup finely diced seedless cucumber (such as Persian or English)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
For the Chickpea Tacos
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek, white and light green parts only
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 Old El Paso Soft Tortilla Taco Boats
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt and cumin. Fold in the cucumber and cilantro (reserving some for garnish, if desired) then taste and add salt as needed.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chickpeas and leek. Fry until the leeks separate and the chickpeas are lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Add the raisins, garam masala, and 1/2 cup water. Stir well; sauté until the water has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the chickpea mixture into the soft taco boats. Top with a generous dollop of cucumber raita. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210|Total Fat: 7g|Saturated Fat: 2g|Trans Fat: 0g|Unsaturated Fat: 5g|Cholesterol: 8mg|Sodium: 307mg|Carbohydrates: 29g|Fiber: 5g|Sugar: 10g|Protein: 10g|
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
Today’s recipe is sponsored by the wonderful people over at Old El Paso. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Wanderlust Kitchen!
February 22, 2016 | Last Updated on January 29, 2021 by Linda